Day care statistics from Sweden 2009: 92% age 18 months to 5 years registered in daycare centres

Photo by Vicente Viana Martu00ednez on Pexels.com

Dear friends,

The statistics of the number of children in day care in Sweden have recently been officially updated for 2009. In the concept “day care” both day care centers and child minders are included. The numbers for 2009 are the following:

86% of all 1-5 year olds are registered in day care 92% of all 18 month – 5 year olds are registered in day care 95% of all 2-5 year olds are registered in day care

The numbers for 18 months-5 years approximation is especially interesting has the Swedish parental leave is 16 months. This is a conservatively calculated number based on the notion that most children start day care at 16-20 months of age.

Family day care and child minders account for less than 4% of all day care in 2009. The remaining 96% go to day care centers.

Here are some more official statistics for comparison: In the year 2000 – 76% of all 1-5 year olds were registered in day care, of which 10% were in family day care or with child minders. In the year 1990 – 40% of all 1-6 year olds were registered in day care (not including child minders). In the year 1980 – 21% of all 1-6 year olds were registered in day care (not including child minders).

The increase has been strong, also in the last 10 years.

All statistics are official Swedish statistics from The Swedish National Agency for Education, http://www.skolverket.se/sb/d/353 (broken link)

Best regards

Jonas Himmelstrand

———————————————–
The Mireja Institute
Box 1726, 751 47 UPPSALA, Sweden.
Phone: +46 18-101450. Fax: +46 18-101422
contact@mireja.org * http://www.mireja.org