CKNW Bill Good Show interview on “work-life balance” Dec 10, 2010. Go to Dec 10, 2010, 10 am, minute 32, then 43:30 (Kids First calls in), then 55.
Paul Kershaw, HELP’s childless sociologist…
- says Helen Ward of Kids First spreads “a lot of mis-information”
- recommends cutting health care funding to pay for early schooling & “wrap around daycare”, complains of “disease fetish”
- claims Nordic parents look after their young children more than Canadian parents (see Day care statistics from Sweden 2009: 92% age 18 months to 5 years registered in daycare centres )
- says “part of caring means earning”
- admits most daycare is low quality
Carol Matusicky of Vanier Institute for Family recommends “state intervening” increasingly in early years.