March 2021. Kids First Parent Association of Canada – (PDF doc): “Policy Shorts & Sound Bites For Child Care and Family“
Polict Shorts & Sounds Bites For CHild Care and Family
Note: ELCC = early learning and child care
ENDING DAYCARE DISCRIMINATION
- Child care means the care of a child. Define “child care” and ELCC inclusively
to include parental ELCC. End discriminatory definitions current in the federal and
- The government should be neutral on parental decisions regarding GDP sector
work and family care work. (See ‘Principals’ in the 1999 Final Report of the Sub-
committee on Tax Equity for Families with Dependent Children of the Finance
- FUND CHILDREN NOT SPACES AND SYSTEMS: All ELCC funding – welfare for
parents, child tax benefits, child care expense deduction, kindergarten, ELCC
funding, EI parental leave – should go to families directly (demand side funding)
based on age of children and perhaps/partially on income. A REFUNDABLE TAX
CREDIT may be the least costly way to implement.
- (ELCC) EQUAL CHOICE = EQUAL FUNDING.
- FAMILIES ARE VERY DIVERSE. So is ELCC.
- CELEBRATE ELCC DIVERSITY. No ‘one size fits all’.
- BE FAIR: When the daycare ‘space’ is closed or your child is sick, the $ still goes
to the space while you do the work.
- END DAYCARE DISCRIMINATION – COMPLY WITH THE CHARTER (Supreme
Court of Canada’s) protection of parents’ LIBERTY rights to raise their children and
children’s rights to security of person.
- POINT OUT THE IDEOLOGICAL HYPOCRISY: Some political parties, academics,
activists, pundits, and media outlets pride themselves on equality, right, diversity,
support for the vulnerable, fairness, personal autonomy, and sustainability. Except
in family care policy where these ideals are tossed in favour of getting parents –
especially mothers – to be, do and believe what big banks, big business, big unions
and a few ideologues want. Point out that EXCLUSIONARY DISCRIMINATORY
ELCC POLICIES exclude most children and most women and most parents.
- STOP PUNISHING PARENTS FOR CARING FOR THEIR OWN CHILDREN.
- Put parents back in control of ELCC decisions by funding families not systems
- Trust parents
- No more BEER AND POPCORN.
- THANK PARENTS FOR THE WORK THEY DO RAISING CHILDREN. WE ARE THE
FRONT LINE WORKERS.
- FAIRNESS: how many parents have ‘Leave it to Beaver’ 9-5 Mon-Fri schedules
that fit the ‘system’ schedule?
QUALITY OF REGULATED ELCC
- Do not harm children: Ensure that licensing requirements for the ELCC do not
compromise children’s well-being. Eg current allowable ratios are ‘a license to
neglect’ – Dr Jay Belsky – top international academic on child care outcomes.
- QUALITY: we’re not talking about coffee here, we’re talking about the kind of
ELCC that our most vulnerable receive: babies and little children. Government has
allowed the scandal of inadequate quality to go on too long, harming children and
TRANSPARENCY, TRUTH & INFORMED PARENTAL CONSENT
- Allow parents informed consent.
- Take on the “BEST START IN LIFE” LIE: point out that all studies of quality in
license ELCC show that the majority is minimal to mediocre.
- EVIDENCE BASED POLICY IS NEEDED: For decades, daycare lobbyists and
Statistics Canada have systematically misinformed the public and policy makers on
ELCC – eg misleading data on % in “child care” with overly narrow definitions of
ELCC and overbroad definitions of “work”, suppressing information of child outcomes,
costs, and parental preferences.
- End the CAMPAIGN OF DISINFORMATION: Government needs to stop
manipulating and patronizing parents by lying to them about what the REAL
EVIDENCE SAYS about ELCC.
- End funding for the daycare lobby and its campaign of disinformation by
government and government funded NGOs.
SEXISM & “GENDER EQUITY”
- No carrots, no sticks: respect women’s choices when it comes to jobs and
family care work.
- WORK IS WORK.
- Stop treating women as incompetent third class citizens when they prefer to
prioritize family care work over full time jobs.
- GENDER EQUITY? It is harmful and misogynistic when government tells mothers
they are not working, not contributing and not productive when they are working
caring for their children.
- Stop treating women like little children: let us decide for ourselves who will look
after our children without coercion in the form of government financial ‘incentives’.
- “Every mother is a working mother.” (feminist slogan)
SUSTAINABLE HOLISTIC FAMILY CARE POLICY
- SUSTAINABILITY: where will all the very loving, highly trained child ELCC workers
come from for the ‘system’? PARENTS WANT to do most of this work, and they are
in fact doing the vast majority.
- A HOLISTIC APPROACH TO SUSTAINABILITY includes, recognizes, honours and
FUNDS FAMILY CARE.
- AGREE WITH MARK CARNEY, former Governor of the Bank of Canada and the Bank
of England, that the GDP is inadequate to measure what we value**: add an
additional measure, eg Human Development Index, Genuine Progress Indicator
**CBC Ideas lecture Feb. 24, 2021 https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1865606723729
- Require FBA – “FAMILY-BASED ANALYSIS” – of policy to see the impact on
families with dependent children and other vulnerable dependents/members. (Add
to the GBA – Gender-Based Analysis).
- Universal daycare has long been pushed by big banks, big business, big unions,
and some ideologues, but not by parents. LOW ENROLLMENT persists despite the
fact that we have thrown billions of dollars at this. But it still does not stick. Parents
are just not buying it.